4 thoughts on “And that’s a wrap! 

1. Hi there,

Just wanted to congratulate you on your work!

I have just submitted my dissertation and eagerly awaiting my result. I am hoping to become a wedding planner in Dubai when I graduate in June. Would love to read your dissertation, is it online anywhere?

Best Wishes
    Daisy

• Hi Daisy. Thank you for your comment! Good luck with your result – I got a first class for mine and I’m still editing it to be published. I’ll post it on my blog linked to my dissertation when it becomes published. What have you done your dissertation about?
      Kind regards,
      Lizzy

2. Hi,

I have recently come across your blog and firstly I just wanted to say it is absolutely fantastic and I have really enjoyed reading it.

In September I will be starting my final year at the University of Gloucestershire as an Events Management student. I wanted to try get ahead of the game and start thinking about dissertation subjects. I am really interested in Weddings and I am frantically trying to think of a few topics – so far I have only come up with how weddings have changed over the years, e.g. modern culture and gay marriages. I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on this topic?

I was also wondering if it is difficult to find text, books and journal articles on weddings within event management?

Thank you very much in advance and I look forward to hearing from you,

Many thanks,
    Becky

• Hi Becky,

Thanks for your lovely comments. It’s brilliant to know that somebody has enjoyed reading my work.

Good luck for your final year and enjoy it – it’s a cliche but it goes too fast and I miss university so much after just 4 months!

It’s a brilliant idea to start looking into dissertation subjects now and start researching because it always takes longer than you think. It took me months to decide on a topic! Firstly I would suggest doing your dissertation topic on whatever you want to go into for your career. If this is weddings then I can definitely help you. Speaking to employers about my dissertation was always great because it showed that I truly love weddings and take them seriously as I spent just under a year studying and researching into them. I learnt a lot from my dissertation and gathered some brilliant results – it’s great to see my results matching what I now see in my job in real life. Also, I would always suggest doing your dissertation on something that you love. You’re going to spend a long time studying and reading about your chosen topic so make sure you’re not going to get bored half way through.

On this blog I have a list of some of the topics I considered when choosing my dissertation topic. I was really passionate to look at why bride’s lose weight for their wedding and obsess over being “perfect” however this didn’t link to Events Management as a degree, it would have been more like a Psychology dissertation. A couple of people I know looked into the changing traditions of weddings as you mentioned and it’s always interesting to look at, however the more specific your dissertation is, the better! I had too many ideas and it was hard to narrow it all down and remember what my main question is. Answering a question is probably the best route to go down, so perhaps look at one thing that has changed such as the increase and acceptance of gay marriages, traditions on eloping, marrying abroad etc. Basically don’t try and find out too much! Changing traditions is really interesting and can make for a great dissertation though!

With regards to the research, I found it okay because I’m good at applying theories and concepts to my own thoughts. This enabled me to use sociology, events management and psychology literature and research to my dissertation. It all depends on what you look into. Just because there’s no research on your chosen idea though don’t be put off. There wasn’t a lot on mine but I found a couple of core texts that were applied and went from there – now me and my tutor are looking into publishing it! There is a fair amount of literature out there on weddings, so I would advise having a look and research now to see what exists. Then you decide whether to research something that exists or whether to add something new to the literature.

I hope this helps and if you want to chat more just add me on Facebook (Elizabeth Megan Mainwaring). Feel free to ask me anything – I could talk about uni, dissertations and weddings all day!

Best wishes,
      Lizzy